In September 2015, 193 members states of the United Nations unanimously adopted a set of 17 Goals as part of a “Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”. The Goals and targets will stimulate action over the coming 15 years to end poverty, achieve equality and protect our planet from climate change.
SDG 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
Goal 16 is arguably the most important goal, being one which supports all the other Goals in their sustainability by keeping peace and stability in the society.
Peace is not only ending wars and reduction of conflicts among countries. In addition to the major target of reducing violence, SDG 16 also concerned about the potential causes of violence and crimes, including corruption and bribery, fundamental freedoms, non-discriminatory policies, and easy access to information and transparent government institutions.
- 16.1 Significantly reduce all forms of violence and related death rates everywhere;
- 16.2 End abuse, exploitation, trafficking and all forms of violence and torture, particularly that against children;
- 16.3 Promote the rule of law at the national and international levels and ensure equal access to justice for all;
- 16.4 By 2030, significantly reduce illicit money and arms flows, strengthen the recovery and return of stolen assets and combat all forms of organized crime;
- 16.5 Substantially reduce corruption and bribery in all forms;
- 16.6 Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels;
- 16.7 Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making at all levels;
- 16.8 Broaden and strengthen the participation of developing countries in the institutions of global governance;
- 16.9 By 2030, provide legal identity for all, including birth registration;
- 16.10 Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms, in accordance with national legislation and international agreements;
- 16.a Strengthen relevant national institutions through international cooperation for building capacity at all levels, in particular in developing countries, to prevent violence and combat terrorism and crime;
- 16.b Promote and enforce non-discriminatory laws and policies for sustainable development.
More information about UN SDGs