The UNESCO HK SDG Debating Tournament is open to students between secondary two and secondary six (or equivalent) and has the goal of promoting the sustainable development goals adopted by the United Nations a few years back. We have a very diverse adjudication panel consisting expertise in different fields who will be sharing their insights with debaters, including academics from universities. This event provide a very educational experience for all involved.
22nd December 2017 (Friday)
9am – 6pm
Registration at 8:45 am (see attached for a draft schedule)
Pui Ching Middle School
Address : 20 Pui Ching Road, Kowloon
World Schools Style Debating
· 6-minute speeches and 3-minute replies
· 3 preliminary rounds and two out-rounds (open break and novice break)
o 3 impromptu rounds (15-minute preparation time)
o Semi-finals will be impromptu while the Grand Final will be semi-prepared (both with 15-minute preparation time)
o Novice teams: debaters have participated in three tournaments or less and have not broken in any of these.
o Power-pairing used in tabulation
Grand Final: THW melt the polar ice caps if it would give drought-stricken countries drinking water
Team Cap: 40 (first-come-first-served basis)
· Each school can register up to 2 English debate teams, with an option to register a third team (subject to availability)
· Teams should consist of 3 main debaters and 2 reserves
· Schools can register junior debaters as timekeepers and chairpersons for each round
· Schools should provide at least 1 adjudicator, who can be a senior debater, a teacher/coach or an alumnus. In any case, school adjudicator should expect to judge no more than 2 rounds.
Chief Adjudicator: Herman Lam (University of Cambridge)
· Prince Philip Scholar and the Latymer Scholar, studying Politics and International Relations
· ‘Breaking’ judge and Grand Final panelist in the Heart of Europe International Debating Tournament 2017, Czech
· (January 2018) Head International Judge in the Mile High Conquest American Debating Tournament, Colorado, USA